Friday, January 9, 2015

A&P

In John Updike’s short story “A&P,” three teenage girls walk into the grocery store in only bathing suits.  The manager of the store, Lengel, confronts them about their attire, or lack thereof, and says that it is not appropriate for a grocery store.  Sammy, a cashier at the store, quits his job immediately after he rings up the girls’ purchases because he did not like the way his manager treated them.  Personally, I think there should be a difference between how one would dress at the beach and how he or she would dress at the grocery store, so I do understand where the manager was coming from.  I had read this story in my 12th grade English class, but had kind of forgotten about it.  It’s an interesting story and I’m glad we read it in this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment